It’s Friday the 13th.
For many of us, it’s just another day. For the superstitious folks, it’s a potentially very unlucky day.
I reached out to all of you to find 13 unlucky, unfortunate hair stories to share today on HGK in honor of Friday the 13th! So hold on to those follicles and read on to find a series of 13 unfortunate hair events…
“When I first went natural I used to press my hair because I didn’t know how else to work it. Once I was pressing (using a Marcel like in the hair shops) and I didn’t check the temperature of the comb and burned a patch of my hair in the front clean off. The comb was so hot the ends where the hair burned off were white. It took months for it to grow back and be completely unnoticeable.” — @soulnsubstance (Instagram)
“I bleached my hair orange on accident and had to cut a deep bowl cut/bang in the front because of breakage.” — @bellaNINJA (Twitter)
“There was the time my friend and i decided we’d try havana twists in my hair. with one pull, they all started slipping out.”– @beautifulgenius (Twitter)
“I love do-it-yourself projects and from time to time I will experiment with making my own hair and skin products. Some people SWEAR by making your own deep conditioner so I figured I’d give it a try. Some oils, mayonnaise and a couple eggs later, I was walking around the house with my own homemade deep conditioner in my head. I got some exercising done, started dinner and switched out a load of laundry before I decided to wash the stuff out. I did a couple rinses since the deep conditioner was really thick but when I went to check my hair in the mirror for any missed spots, there were little chunks of white everywhere in my hair—the egg had solidified in my hair probably from being activated by the heat coming from my head. Sigh. It took a long, long time to get all of it out. Now, imagine if I had sat under the hair dryer!!! Ask me if I’ve ever tried to make my own hair products with food again.” –Jess (Me! @HGKWW on Twitter/Instagram)
“I dropped my curling iron because I burned my hand but it was stuck in my hair because I left it on too long so my hair had melted on to the barrel. So instead of the curling iron dropping to the floor, it just swung into my face and burned the crap outta me. Smh.” –P. W.
“I tried to go blonde and got the bright idea to do it myself at home. I left the color in way too long because it didn’t look like my hair was turning fast enough. Bad mistake because my hair started falling out and I had to cut all of my hair off!!!!!” — Dionna
“I was forced into a big chop because my friend and I had a miscommunication when she was cutting my hair. She forgot that I changed my mind and just wanted to transition a little longer. When she made the first cut, a big chunk of hair floated into my lap and I LOST MY MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no choice but to go through with it because that piece was so short. I wasn’t ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” –Kellyna
“I thought it would cut back on time if I washed my hair while I waited for my legs to Nair in the shower. Definitely got Nair in my hair. Worst. Experience. Ever. I couldn’t even tell where it was in my hair because it looked just like my conditioner and I still can’t figure out exactly when I put it in my hair. I must have been daydreaming!!!!!! I was screaming and crying and rinsing my hair fast as sh*t!!!!” –Lauren
“I got my hair stuck in the harness that goes over your head when you get on a rollercoaster. Made for a very uncomfortable ride! I couldn’t move at all!!” –Ty
“I took out my weave, didn’t comb my hair to remove the shed hair, then washed with Suave shampoo. My hair locked up and I was channeling Weezy. The boyfriend helped me try to comb out the locs but it didn’t work. Then I cried and big chopped the next day…the end! I can laugh about it now but it was a traumatic night. No amount of conditioner was gonna save that child!” — Crystal, KinkyHairAffair.com
“Once I got my hair braided too tight and I had a headache for straight week before I just sucked it up and took them out. I had three bald spots in the back where the braids had just straight snatched my hair out. I was p*ssed!” –Toya Q.
“I accidentally put expired homemade product in my hair. My hair smelled soooooo bad for DAYSSSSS!!!!!!!!” –C. D.
“In the summer of 2011, I decided to get my hair straightened and trimmed for first time since my big chop in 07. I’d always gone to the Dominican salon when I had a relaxer, and they’d never done me wrong. Plus I’d heard so many good things about their blow-outs from others. Then I walk in, I stress that I only want a blow-out and trim. No Relaxer. No flat iron. Nothing else. My. Hair. Was. Layed. I was in love…. for about 4 days. I missed my kinky curly afro-y coils and was excited the wash them back into my life. But something didn’t feel right while I was shampooing. My hair didn’t shrink up when the water hit it, and shampoo didn’t help either. I LOST IT. I must’ve used an entire bottle of shampoo and conditioner in that shower. My hair was stuck. Straight. I washed once a day in hopes that whatever that woman put in my head would rinse out. It didn’t. After a week of looking a frazzled mess, (I didn’t own a straightner so I rocked a horrid was-n-go) I couldn’t take it anymore. I walked into the nearest barber shop and requested big chop #2. Rocked a fade for almost a year. I’m still angry at that stylist.” –Bethany (@SeeMuralsNMusic, Twitter)
Let me know which stories you thought were the most unfortunate! Didn’t get a chance to submit your own horrific hair story? Share it in the comments below!
Subscribe & Don’t Miss A Thing!
New on HairGetsKinky.com:
Join this site!